May 31, 2013

Giving Back - Spending a Day with Habitat for Humanity

This past weekend our league had the pleasure of participating in a build day with Habitat for Humanity.  We worked on the landscaping for a home that is nearly complete.  We even got to meet one of the people who will eventually live in the house we were working on!

I feel as though I got to know the women I skate with so much better throughout this experience.  For example, I learned that Mary Poppin' Caps is extraordinarily pale, Dyer's Eve is new to the concept of hats :) and in the event of the zombie apocalypse I want to be on whatever team Fink is on; the girl can swing a pick-ax in a way that surely means survival for her allies.  Spending time together outside of derby really gave me a new appreciation for the ladies I sweat with every week.

One thing that really stood out to me was how much I learned the strength of my teammates; not their physical strength, I observe that often enough on the track, but the strength of their characters.  This spring has been jam-packed with bouts, tournaments, and other such derby activities, not to mention the regular practices we all attend.  To commit another full day of hard physical labor, one beginning at 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday is admirable.

I am so proud to be a part of a league that is committed to giving back to the community even when it feels like there might not be much of ourselves to give.  FoCo Girls Gone Derby has made philanthropy a priority and these women enthusiastically showed up to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment